Breaking News
  • March 11NHS tutoring after school on 03/19 in Mrs. Ackmens room
  • March 11ZHS 2nd Annual Lip Sync Battle! Registration forms can be picked up in the choir room - all forms due 03/28.
  • March 7Anyone interested in sports medicine can pick up an application in main or foundation hall offices! You have until spring break to complete all sections.
  • November 8Zachary High's 2023-2024 Golden Gala prom! Prom fees are $40, pay on school cash online!
The Student News Site of Zachary High School

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The March Round-Up
The March Round-Up
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 31, 2024
Recognizing Women in Sports
Recognizing Women in Sports
Ciannie Wellington, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
What It Means to Be A Green
What It Means to Be A Green
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 27, 2024

Music’s Most Iconic Night: MTV’s Video Music Awards 2023

Across the nation, many artists from Olivia Rodrigo to Nicki Minaj attended the VMAs. Recognizing video vanguard and global icon recipients and celebrating 50 years of hip-hop, the VMAs was by far music’s most iconic night!

The 2023 VMAs was an eye-catching show with lasers, flashing lights, extraordinary performances, and outfits! Lil Wayne opened the show with his popular songs,Uproar”, “Kat Food”,Back That Azz Up. Also, with live performances from Olivia Rodrigo, Doja Cat, Kaliii, Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion, and many others! I think the performances were great, with each performance having a unique theme and the backup dancers adding additional flare to the performances. 

Nicki Minaj was the host, for the second year in a row, and a performer for the VMAs. She performed many of her hit songs, including an exclusive performance of “Last Time I Saw You from her upcoming album Pink Friday 2, releasing in November. In addition, Nicki Minaj won her fifth Best Hip-Hop award, setting a record for the most awards achieved in this category. Nicki Minaj’s performance was a little disappointing because many, including me, expected more than two songs from her performance. 

Diddy accepted the Global Icon award this year. He performed a hip-hop medley of his hit tracks, “I’ll Be Missing You”, “It’s All About the Benjamins”, and more. He performed with Keyshia Cole and Lil Kim; this was his first performance at the VMAs since 2005. 

Wellknown Latin superstar, Shakira, took home this year’s Video Vanguard award for her lifetime of amazing achievements in the Latin music industry. She performed a medley of her hit songs “Hips Don’t Lie,” “Whenever, Wherever,” and more. She also won Best Collaboration with Karol G for “TQG.” 

International star, Taylor Swift, won nine awards for Artist of the Year, Album of the Year for Midnights, Video of the Year, Song of the Year, Best Pop, Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects, and Best Direction for “Anti-Hero,” and Show of the Summer! Surprisingly, she is just behind Beyonce who has 30 awards. In my opinion, Taylor Swift won all these awards because of her enormous fan base, known as the Swifties.  

Talented group, BLACKPINK, won Group of the Year and Best Choreography for “Pink Venom. The group is known for their amazing choreography, awesome rap, and vocals. The girls did not attend the award show due to their Born Pink Encore tour. 

K-pop sensation, Jungkook, from the boy band, BTS won Song of the Summer for “Seven” featuring Latto. Jungkook also won Song of the Summer two years ago with BTS, for their number one hit, Butter.”