Breaking News
  • March 11NHS tutoring after school on 03/19 in Mrs. Ackmens room
  • March 11ZHS 2nd Annual Lip Sync Battle! Registration forms can be picked up in the choir room - all forms due 03/28.
  • March 7Anyone interested in sports medicine can pick up an application in main or foundation hall offices! You have until spring break to complete all sections.
  • November 8Zachary High's 2023-2024 Golden Gala prom! Prom fees are $40, pay on school cash online!
The Student News Site of Zachary High School

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The March Round-Up
The March Round-Up
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 31, 2024
Recognizing Women in Sports
Recognizing Women in Sports
Ciannie Wellington, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
What It Means to Be A Green
What It Means to Be A Green
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 27, 2024

2023 MAMAs: The Biggest Event in K-Pop

Ushering from the Tokyo Dome, hundreds of bands and solo artists perform their ground-breaking, chart-smashing hits at the 2023 Mnet Asian Music Awards, monomously known as the MAMAs.

From November 28-29, the Grammys of Korean pop music were held in Tokyo, Japan, for two nights only. The 24th annual MAMAs invited all male and female bands and solo artists to perform and achieve their respective awards. Officially kicking off in 1999 in Seoul, South Korea, the MAMAs started off small with OG groups like Girls Generation, 2 PM, and BIGBANG. Now, 24 years later, the global sensation K-Pop has captured the hearts of many fans worldwide.  

Day 1 performance lineup included Kep1er’s “Grand Prix,” Enhypen’s “Bite Me” and “Sweet Venom,” TXT’s “Sugar Rush Ride” and “Chasing That Feeling.” Day 2 had even more in store with rookie groups leading as ZEROBASEONE performed “In Bloom,” “Take My Hand,” and “Crush”; Le Sserafim’s “Eve, Psych, and The Bluebeard’s Wife”; Treasure’s “Move” and “Bona Bona”; and SEVENTEEN’s “God of Music” and “Super.”  

Aside from jaw-breaking, mind-boggling performances from stellar, young idols, who took home the most MAMAs to their Mama? With eight nominations each, TXT and Jimin of BTS had the most nominations! 

The male super group, SEVENTEEN, was the night’s group, taking home the most MAMAs! Their five awards included: Album of the Year for FML, Best Male Group and Best Dance Performance Male Group for “Super”, Bibigo Culture & Style, and Worldwide Fans’ Choice! Since debuting in 2015, their albums Sector 17 and Seventeenth Heaven have topped Billboard charts and continue to gain worldwide recognition from their lovely CARATs! 

Becoming globally recognized since their TikTok hit, “Ditto,” New Jeans is the group with the second most wins! The rookie girl group achieved four accolades, such as Artist of the Year, Song of the Year, Best Female Group, and Best Dance Performance Female Group for “Ditto”! Since their latest EP Get Up, “Super Shy,” and “ASAP” are catchy TikTok hits that we can’t get out of our heads! We simply can’t get enough of New Jeans!

The biggest thing since One Direction, BTS’s big, talented, and sensational members scored three MAMAs as a group, with a few individual awards! Their achievements include Worldwide Fans’ Choice, Best OST for “The Planet,” and Worldwide Icon award! Individually, Jung Kook won Best Collaboration and Best Solo Male Dance Performance for his Billboard number one hit, “Seven (Clean Version),” and Jimin won Best Male Artist amidst the release of his first solo album, FACE. Unfortunately, BTS couldn’t attend the award show as they were serving their mandatory military service. However, the ARMY was alongside them countlessly voting and rooting for them! 

Jisoo, member of all-girl quartet BLACKPINK, is the most awarded soloist of the night, achieving the titles: Best Female Artist, Best Female Solo Dance Performance, and Best Music Video of the Year for her solo “Flower” in her first album, ME. Immediately after winning, she was trending globally for achieving her first MAMAs! 

Rookie boy group, ZEROBASEONE won their first MAMAs: Best New Male Artist, Worldwide Fans’ Choice, and Favorite New Artist! ZB1 was formed and debuted in 2023 by Mnet’s reality competition Boys Planet, a Korean TV channel. Since then, the nonet released their breakout album, Youth in the Shade. 

ATEEZ, known for their edgy-dark, hip-hop music, achieved Worldwide Fans’ Choice and Favorite Global Performer Male Group! Formed in 2018, their viral TikTok hit initiated the “Bouncy” challenge from their latest album, The World Ep. 2: Outlaw.