Breaking News
  • April 29Graduation Behavior Forms and Outside Scholarships are due to Counseling on May 1! Graduation Tickets are available for Pick-Up on May 1!
  • April 29Freshman, Sophomore, and Juniors Finals Week is May 20-23!
  • April 29Graduation Practice is May 23 at 9am! Graduation Ceremony is May 23 at 6:30pm! (Seniors arrive at 5:15pm)
  • April 29Senior Honors Night is May 22 at the ZHS Gym at 6:30pm!
  • April 29Seniors Final Week: May 6-9! Last Day of School is May 9!
  • April 29Senior Celebration Day is May 2 at 7:30 and 9:30am! Tickets are available in Counseling on April 29!
The Student News Site of Zachary High School

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Costs for Ones Passion: Fall Edition
The Costs for One's Passion: Fall Edition
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • May 1, 2024
The April Round-Up
The April Round-Up
Maddy Snyder, Co-Editor-in-Chief • April 30, 2024
Back to Our Roots!
Back to Our Roots!
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • April 23, 2024

Lahaina On Fire

Wildfires devastate Maui, Hawaii, reducing Lahaina to ash.

Three weeks ago, a deadly fire raged across Lahaina, a historic town on the island of Maui, Hawaii, demolishing everything in its path. The fire took at least 115 lives, though officials expect that number to increase as they continue to find and identify more victims. Over six billion dollars worth of infrastructure was destroyed. Once a picturesque beach town, Lahaina is now almost entirely reduced to ash.

Conditions on the island were perfect fuel for the fire. A tropical storm, Hurricane Dora, was passing several hundred miles south of Maui, pushing forceful winds into the island. These winds (up to 67 miles per hour) knocked down several power lines across Lahaina. Vegetation had been remarkably dry in Maui throughout the summer, allowing for the dry grasses beneath the power lines to spark and catch fire.

Most wildfires spread slowly enough that residents have time to evacuate the area, but that wasn’t the case for Lahaina residents due to the ferocious winds. The fire spread quickly and intensely, even immobilizing the emergency sirens meant to alert residents to natural disasters. Effectively, the only way for residents to know that their homes were about to be consumed by a ravenous fire was to look outside and see the flames, in which case it was already too late to run.

Coach Perry with daughter, Kyra Woods

Many families tried to escape in their cars. However, the fire spread so rapidly that all access to the highway was cut off. Residents were trapped, with the ocean on one side and fire on the other three. Some people tried to run on foot to safety but were unsuccessful. Others were trapped on their balconies with fire below and smoke in the air around them as they watched their town burn.

Zachary High’s volleyball coach and former resident of Oahu, Coach Cherilani Perry, expressed her initial shock and support for the residents of Maui. Oahu is just a 30-minute plane ride to Maui, and Perry fondly remembers her island visits. “When we heard about it… it was kind of hard to believe that that actually occurred, but, you know, one thing about Hawaii is everybody is about family,” Perry said. “The Polynesian islands are just one big family, so although they’re without, they’re really not without.”

The stories from survivors are devastating. Across the globe, millions are grieving for the victims and praying for their families. If you are interested in helping to rebuild the homes and buildings of Lahaina, here are a few organizations that need your help: Maui Strong Fund, Feed the People Maui Fund, and Maui United Way.