Breaking News
  • March 11NHS tutoring after school on 03/19 in Mrs. Ackmens room
  • March 11ZHS 2nd Annual Lip Sync Battle! Registration forms can be picked up in the choir room - all forms due 03/28.
  • March 7Anyone interested in sports medicine can pick up an application in main or foundation hall offices! You have until spring break to complete all sections.
  • November 8Zachary High's 2023-2024 Golden Gala prom! Prom fees are $40, pay on school cash online!
The Student News Site of Zachary High School

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The March Round-Up
The March Round-Up
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 31, 2024
Recognizing Women in Sports
Recognizing Women in Sports
Ciannie Wellington, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
What It Means to Be A Green
What It Means to Be A Green
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 27, 2024

Silence Amongst the Chaos

According to recent studies, one in five teenagers in an average high school contemplate attempting suicide. Don’t let yourself or your friend become a statistic; most people never notice glass until it’s broken.

Every year, Suicide Awareness Month serves as a solemn reminder of the importance of mental health, particularly in teenagers. It sheds light on the consequences of mental health struggles and the necessity of creating a supportive environment for teenagers vulnerable to suicidal thoughts and actions. By understanding the significance of this month, we can empower ourselves to break down stigma, raise awareness, and save lives.

Why Do We Need Suicide Awareness Month?

Suicide Awareness Month holds immense importance as it tackles the serious issue of suicide, which has far-reaching consequences. Raising awareness about this topic is essential to prioritize mental health and provide support to those in need. Recognizing the gravity of suicide prevention and dedicating an entire month to spreading awareness is crucial for people battling their own minds and thoughts.

The Impact on Teens:

Adolescence is often seen as a period of great emotional, psychological, and social tension. The hardships of navigating school, family, peer pressure, and societal expectations can be overwhelming for teenagers. Factors such as academic pressure, bullying, substance abuse, and relationship issues can contribute to or be the cause of severe mental health issues, which could lead to suicidal thoughts. It is crucial to take teenage mental health seriously and not disregard their feelings as “dramatic” to prevent tragic outcomes.

Mental Health Challenges Amplified:

Teenagers face unique circumstances that make managing their mental health especially difficult. The rise of social media platforms has added a layer of pressure. This exposes teens to overwhelming anxiety-inducing comparisons, cyberbullying, and the constant need for validation.

Moreover, adolescents are often at an age where they are learning to cope with independence and dealing with hard emotions with limited life experience. These factors can contribute to feelings of isolation, anxiety, and depression, creating a perfect storm for suicidal thoughts.

To combat this issue, we must strive to build a supportive environment for teenagers. Educators, parents, friends, and mental health professionals all play important roles in offering support and relief and directing those needing specific resources and treatment options. By encouraging open conversations and creating safe spaces for expression, we can create a

reliable network of support that ensures no one feels alone in their struggle with mental health challenges.

Conclusion:

Suicide Awareness Month serves as a reminder of the significance of addressing mental health struggles among teenagers. By showing empathy and understanding, we can help prevent tragedies.

Our responsibility is to create a society that prioritizes mental health, encourages open conversations, and supports those in need. Let us remember the importance of this month, not only acting in September but continuing to work tirelessly to provide a safe and nurturing environment for teenagers in our schools and community.

If you or someone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide, please reach out now using one of the links below. Our staff here at The Hoofprint Online cares about each of our readers, and we hope you receive the help you deserve. You are loved, valid, and meaningful.

988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline: 988

Crisis Text Line – Text HOME to 741741 for free, 24/7 crisis counseling.

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: 1-888-333-AFSP (2377)

Suicide Awareness Voices of Education: 952-946-7998