“Home Sweet Homecoming”: The Pep Rally, Game, and Dance

Homecoming week is always one of the most exciting times of the year for students. From the pep rally to the dance, everyone can agree that Homecoming 2023 was a huge success filled with sweet memories that everyone will cherish forever!

Rallying for the Broncos!                               

The pep rally was outstanding, with performances from JV and Varsity cheer, Belles, twirler, Zora Boutain-Birks (11), the Band of Blue, and the Fillies! Kicking off the pep rally with a stellar performance, the Bronco Belles performed a unique interpretation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Following was the Color guard performing a spooky Halloween routine to the popular song, “Calling All the Monsters.” Taking us through a cotton candy-themed fantasyland, JV cheer performed a routine composed of stunts, jumps, and tumbling that left the crowd feeling sweet! 

“The part where the band played [was my favorite]… where [the cheerleaders] had technical difficulties.”

— Jhamaree Wadell (11)

Next up was the extremely talented twirler, Zora Boutain-Birks (11), displaying her talent as she spun knives into the air! After Zora, something unexpected happened; the Varsity cheer squad was lined-up to carry out their performance, until technical difficulties occurred. Not wanting to upset the crowd, pep rally MC, Coach McHugh, ushered the band to start playing during the abrupt intermission. Within a few minutes, the problem was rectified, and cheer performed an upbeat routine as tootsie rolls! Everyone’s performance was nothing short of amazing!

Sweet, Sweet, Victory!

Samuel Montalbano

The annual homecoming game was painful to watch to say the least…. for the Patriots fans! Zachary beat Liberty Magnet 54-16 leaving the Patriots in shambles! Of course, we expected nothing less from our mighty Broncos! As cheer, band, Belles, and football lined up for bust through, the stadium went dark, and red and blue lights started flashing! The song “Also Sprach Zarathustra,” more commonly known as “Moon Landing” blared over the speakers, leaving fans filled with anticipation. The beat dropped and the crowd erupted with applause as the Broncos burst through the tunnel. This breathtaking entrance let the Patriots know that the Broncos would not go home without a victory! 

Samuel Montalbano

In the first quarter, the Broncos scored their first touchdown and made a field goal, putting the score at 7 to 0. During the third down, we scored again and kicker, Rafael Costa (11) made an outstanding kick! The remainder of the first quarter was a series of touchdowns; by the end of it, the score was 35-0 with the Broncos in the lead! In the beginning of the second quarter, the Broncos, yet again, scored two more touchdowns. Following this, Liberty scored a touchdown and went for a two-point conversion leaving fans slightly worried, as the score was 48-8.  

Halftime was just as anticipated as the game itself because the Homecoming maids were introduced, and the queen was crowned. Congratulations to all maids who were part of homecoming court

Samuel Montalbano

this year; you all contributed greatly to the magic of homecoming week!  

Aubrey Sanders (12) was elected Homecoming queen this year and could not believe it! Overwhelmed with emotions, she proudly walked up to receive her crown. She could not express her gratitude enough! 

“Thank you all so much; I love Zachary High so much!” Sanders (12) said. 

She was not really expecting to be crowned queen, but it was obvious to anyone who talked to her that she was on cloud nine!  

To view the full list of maids, go to https://thehoofprint.org/3048/news/home-sweet-homecoming-the-parade-and-maids/

Samuel Montalbano

After all the excitement simmered down, it was time for the third quarter. After Liberty scored, Zachary was absolutely relentless on the field as they finished the quarter with 54 points. In the final quarter, Liberty scored a touchdown, but no matter how hard Liberty fought, Zachary would not back down. The Broncos did not let the Patriots score again, and after a series of brutal tackles, the game ended 54-16! The game was nothing short of amazing; thank you to all the students, faculty, and parents that made Homecoming week so sweet and memorable! Until next year… GO BRONCOS!

Taylor Watson-Lee

Candy Land on the Dance Floor! 

The annual Homecoming dance was very enjoyable for everyone, from the energetic music to the hype dance circles! Students bounced excitedly on the balls of their heels as they waited in a long line outside the gymnasium, minutes away from entering the big, booming, dance floor.  

Taylor Watson-Lee

Baton Rouge favorites, such as “Set It Off,” “Back That Thang Up,” “Bring It Back,” and “Ayy Ladies,” had students singing their hearts out! Bringing everyone to the dance floor, popular line dances like “The Wobble,” “SU Shuffle,” “No One In the World,” and “Zydeco” were blasted from the speakers in the gym’s North end. Throughout the dance, ginormous dance circles formed as friends encouraged and pushed each other to show off their moves! For those who wanted a keepsake, two lengthy lines for the free photo booth stretched across the main and practice gym.

Aydrian Hensley (9)

Aydrian Hensley (9) was one of many students who enjoyed their homecoming night to the fullest! 

“I mostly danced with my friends. I loved when people were dancing in the circles,” Hensley said. 

Jordan Edmond (10)

Jordan Edmond (10) celebrated and appreciated her friends. 

“My favorite part of the dance was seeing my friends have a good time and seeing them happy,” Edmond said.  

Ja’Myrea Foreman (11) and Kelvin Ridgley (11)

Attending the dance with Ja’Myrea Foreman (11), Kelvin Ridgley (11) expresses his critiques about the dance. 

“The dance was fun, in my opinion, but I felt like you had to be with the right people. Overall, I felt like the school should’ve done a better job with setting it up,” Ridgley (11) said.  

Remi Quibodeaux (12)

Remi Quibodeaux (12) had a fun time during pre-homecoming plans.  

“I got ready with my sister. Then my friends [Addison Paxton (11) and Laila Sanders (11)] and I took photos at Americana before eating dinner at Hot Tails,” Quibodeaux (12) said.