The Greatest Show on Turf: The 2022 Homecoming Court

Alyvia Pierson, Staff Editor/Writer

Voted by their class, 13 lucky ladies were selected to be on the Homecoming Court, and among them was the ZHS Homecoming Queen. Read below to see their experience on Homecoming Court.

All Hail the Queen!

Zachary Student Media

Congratulations to Chasity Sample, Zachary High’s 2022 Homecoming Queen! 

Q: How did you feel when you won Homecoming Queen?

A: “I was so grateful that the school chose me to represent them, and I could not stop smiling! I was so happy!”

Q: Why did you want to run for Homecoming Queen?

A: “I wanted to be a part of the 2022 Homecoming Court because I had never done it before and a lot of my peers suggested that I do it, so I signed up for it.”

Q: What does this title mean for your future?

A: “For me, I will cherish this honor for as long as I can. I will continue to represent ZHS that best that I can.”

Q: What was your favorite part of homecoming week?

A: “My favorite part of homecoming was the pep rally. I loved the performances that the Belles and Cheer put on. It was also very hot, but I enjoyed every part of it.”

Photographer not listed

Junior Maids:

Mackenzie Brown

Q: How did you feel when you found out you were a homecoming maid for the junior class?

A: “All day I was anticipating the results and when I heard my name on the announcements, I was absolutely ecstatic, and it was definitely the highlight of my week.”

Q: Why did you want to run for junior homecoming maid?

A: “I wanted to run for junior homecoming maid because I thought it would be a fun experience and I wanted to represent my junior class, while riding in a Corvette for the homecoming parade.”

A: “This will be the most memorable experience of my high school career and I will always be a representative of Zachary High School.”

A: “My favorite part of homecoming week was the dress up days, especially circus day; it was quite interesting seeing the different costumes people wore.”

Paris Brazelton (not pictured)

A: “I felt a mixture of surprise, gratitude, and excitement. The honor of being selected out of so many amazing people felt amazing! I loved the shopping, of course!”

A: “I really wanted the opportunity to represent my class and have a bigger role in creating the homecoming experience this year.”

A: “I hope to continue to exemplify good representation, and I will cherish these high school memories.”

Jakeyia Gray (not pictured)

A: “When I won, I felt excited, happy, and proud of myself.”

A: “I ran for junior homecoming maid because I was confident enough in myself to do it, and I wanted to play dress up.”

A: “For my future, this means that I will be getting a different outlook from people and will have a proud high school moment.”

A: “My favorite was the pep rally and dance because I really loved my green dress and, I got to spend special moments with my friends.”

Sophomore Maids:

Photographer not listed

Armiyah Day

Q: How did you feel when you found out you were a homecoming maid for the sophomore class?

A: “When I found out I was chosen for homecoming maid, I felt overwhelmed with emotions that my peers thought of me as a representation for our sophomore class.”

Q: Why did you want to run for Sophomore Homecoming Maid?

A: “Running for sophomore maid was a thought, at first. Mrs. Stacey said, ‘Miyah you should, you would be a great maid.’ After she passed, I knew I had to follow through with it.”

A: “This means that I’m really observed as someone who can represent a whole. It lets me know that if there’s anything I want to run for in the future, I’m on the right path to carry myself.”

A: “My favorite part was the parade. I enjoyed riding through the parade and seeing the community’s reaction was great.”

Photographer not listed

Ja’Myrea Foreman 

A: “I’m a Belle and we practice in the cafeteria where you can’t hear ANYTHING. I heard the first two names called and then the team started cheering so I could not hear the third person. I was so mad because at that moment I was like, ‘did I even make it?’, then got a text from my friend saying, ‘congratulations’ and I almost threw my phone in excitement.”

Q: Why did you want to run for sophomore homecoming Maid?

A: “It was one of those things where someone like me, not big into dressy type clothing, got all dolled up, was like ‘oh let me just do it to do it, it can be fun.’ ”

A: “This title taught me to stop doubting my capabilities. I always doubt how well known I am around school which is why I hold back on some clubs and group things, but this has shown me to be more outgoing in the future and I do hope to make it senior year.”

A: “I enjoyed the dress days a little more than walking on the field for homecoming maid. Being creative is my specialty, so I’m always excited for people to see what I wear, and we can all laugh about it.”

Tilayah Butler         

Photographer not listed

A: “When I found that I was a homecoming maid, I was excited. When I signed up, I didn’t expect too much out of it.”

Q: Why did you want to run for sophomore homecoming maid?

A: “I wanted to run for sophomore homecoming maid just to see what the experience felt like.”

A: “The fact that I won gives me confidence to run again in my senior year.”

A: “My favorite part of homecoming week was riding in the parade and being able to represent not only my school but the sophomore class as well.”

Photographer not listed

Freshman Maids:

Sadie Nichols 

Q: What was your most memorable experience as a freshman homecoming maid?

A: “Probably the dance or pep rally. I enjoyed being on the field all dressed up.”

Q: Why did you want to run for freshman homecoming maid?

A: “I know a lot of people who have run, and it seemed fun, so I wanted to try it.”

Q: What advice would you give to someone who wants to run for homecoming maid?

A: “I would tell them to not push people to vote for them; just let them vote for who they want.”

A: “The dance, because I enjoyed hanging out with my friends.”

Carly Johnson 

Photographer not listed

Q: How did you feel when you found out you were a maid for the freshman class?

A: “I was excited and shocked. I didn’t think many people would vote for me.”

A: “Just for the experience and I wanted to see how it would go.”

Q: What does this mean for your future?

A: “I have a lot more confidence in myself now. I would try to run again during my senior year.”

A: “The dance and the parade, because I hung out with my friends.”

Photographer not listed

Khaliyah Claiborne

A: “I was excited and jumped around. I was already freshman class president so I wasn’t sure if my classmates would vote for me again.”

A: “I wanted the experience and show young black girls that they can do anything that they put their mind to.”

Q: What does this mean for your future?

A: “This means that I can do anything that I put my mind to and to be confident in myself.”

A: “The parade and pep rally. I really enjoyed riding around in the car.”