Breaking News
  • March 11NHS tutoring after school on 03/19 in Mrs. Ackmens room
  • March 11ZHS 2nd Annual Lip Sync Battle! Registration forms can be picked up in the choir room - all forms due 03/28.
  • March 7Anyone interested in sports medicine can pick up an application in main or foundation hall offices! You have until spring break to complete all sections.
  • November 8Zachary High's 2023-2024 Golden Gala prom! Prom fees are $40, pay on school cash online!
The Student News Site of Zachary High School

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The March Round-Up
The March Round-Up
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 31, 2024
Recognizing Women in Sports
Recognizing Women in Sports
Ciannie Wellington, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
What It Means to Be A Green
What It Means to Be A Green
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 27, 2024

The December Round-Up

From Holiday festivities to preparing for midterms, these last two weeks have been busy, to say the least. Check out what’s been going on around school!

Put a Ring on It!

The Junior Ring Ceremony is one the most significant events in one’s high school career. It’s meant to recognize the progress made by that year’s Junior class – the late nights spent completing homework, the life-long friendships made in Freshman year P.E., the challenge of balancing extracurriculars with academics, and so much more. Family and friends come together to celebrate the conquering struggles and accomplishments of their one special Junior. The night is full of memories, love, and laughter. 

Junior class SGA Secretary Ethan Nelson delivers a “Meaning of the Ring” speech.

And this year, the class of 2025’s Junior Ring Ceremony was exactly that. Kicking off the night with opening speeches, the Junior class SGA representatives, President Zion Ramsey (11), Vice President Kaymin Harnett (11), Secretary Ethan Nelson (11), Treasurer Autumn Webster (11), and Historian Kyrin Harnett (11), spoke about the significance of the Junior ring. Meri Hobbs Wren (11) followed with a beautiful invocation. And then, it was time for the ceremony to begin. 

Hundreds of Juniors eagerly lined up to receive their rings. When it was their turn, each Junior walked through a massive, inflatable ring, with their family members and friends applauding from the gym bleachers. Principal Mrs. Spence congratulated the Juniors before receiving their rings and signing their names on a symbolic board at the back of the gym, committing to graduation. 

The night couldn’t have been more perfect; every Junior will cherish this sweet event for years to come! 

Take a look at some Juniors’ Rings!

Mikalen Washington (11) designed a breathtaking ring that she believes will provide her encouragement during the last stretch of this marathon to graduation. With a gold band and blue sapphire gem (Washington’s birthstone) in the center, Washington imprinted a soccer ball on one side of her ring to represent the sport she’s dedicated so much time and energy into.  

On the other hand, Washington imprinted the word “Honors” to serve as a reminder to keep working toward academic achievements throughout her junior and senior years.

“I think it’s really important to get good grades…,” Washington said (11). 

With her senior year fast approaching, Washington wanted her ring to be a motivator, reminding her how close she was to graduating.

“We’re getting ready to get out of high school, and we’re almost there,” Washington (11) said, “I think [the ring] represents how far we’ve come in school, and we’ve almost made it.”

When Alexis Daigle (11) designed her ring, her biggest concern was practicality. 

“I just knew I wanted it to be something simple that I could wear every day…,” Daigle (11) said. 

Though it is simple, that doesn’t make it anything less than spectacular. A shiny silver band connects two stones, a diamond, and Daigle’s birthstone. 

Daigle viewed the ceremony as her first major step toward graduation.

“I feel like it’s the start of being an upper-classman and going into my senior year… like my first step to graduating,” Daigle (11) said.

Although she’s excited to move forward in her high school career, Daigle also feels a little overwhelmed with the speed at which she’s growing up. 

“You feel like you have to have it all figured out,” Daigle (11) said, “… not knowing… what you want to do until graduation… that’s really nerve-racking, not knowing what’s ahead of me.” 

Carrington Seals (11) designed her ring with the utmost care, taking into consideration what her thoughts would be years from now. 

“The ring reminded me of my years in high school, and it’s something that I can reflect back on,” Seals (11) said. 

For example, even though she’s not set on her career choice as a veterinarian, she decided to include a symbol of it on her ring to represent the hopes and dreams of her past. 

“I know throughout most of my high school, I wanted to be a veterinarian, and I wanted to see if maybe this might still be a dream or maybe I’ve accomplished this when I look back on it,” Seals (11) said. 

In addition to representing her veterinary passions, Seals included a dedication to JROTC on the side of her ring. She also selected her mother’s birthstone (aquamarine) as her center gem. 

Ugly Christmas Sweater Day

ZHS embraced the Christmas spirit on Tuesday, December 12, with Tacky Christmas Sweater Day! Check out some memorable Christmas outfits around school!

Choir’s Winter Wonderland

The ZHS Choir Department presented their Winter Concert, “Underneath the Tree,” on Wednesday, December 13. 

“O Come, All Ye Faithful”

Their opening song, “O Come, All Ye Faithful,” took a modern twist on a classic Christmas song. The students amplified the performance with dance moves and conga drums! 

The next song, “Christmas Time is Here,” featured all male voices, with solos from David Gaines (12) and Tycen Smith (10). The low-baritone voices of the group echoed off the walls of the theatre, but Gaines and Smith added interest to the song by hitting impressive high notes. 

In the third song, “My Favorite Things,” the women’s group took the classic song from Sound of Music and layered harmonies on top of it, sending chills to the audience. 

Next, Lauren Capello (12) sang “White Christmas” on the guitar. She brought an incredible spark to the familiar Christmas tune by singing with emotion and even belting at some parts. It was reminiscent of a popular musician, like Lana Del Rey. 

Capello was thrilled to perform the song, as she has a passion for belting those high notes.

“I’m our belter… so, I just listened to the track and figured it out… sometimes I make up my own stuff too, and I just role with it,”  Capello (12) said. 

Following Capello, Kenzie Robinson (12) performed an emotional cover of the Coldplay song “Christmas Lights” on the ukulele. The song was far less known than most other songs featured in the performance, but Robinson’s melodic voice made it sound familiar. In contrast to Capello, Robinson’s performance was soothing and tranquil, much like the band of the original song. 

After the solos, the group performed “What Christmas Means to Me” and “O Holy Night.” Though the choir faced a few technical issues in “What Christmas Means to Me,” they recovered and performed beautifully and professionally. In “O Holy Night,” the overlapping harmonies of the song were almost overwhelming! 

Next, Andre’a Condol (12) performed “Please Come Home for Christmas.” The song and Condol’s deep, enchanting voice were almost jazz-like. 

Condol did a stunning job of portraying the song’s message through her facial expressions and movements on stage.

“The song is about wanting somebody who’s not there, and it’s really sad. But I also think it’s a beautiful song. I guess that [was] the message [I was] trying to portray. It’s a plea, and it’s beautiful,” Condol (12) said. 

“Underneath the Tree” was the next group performance. With a catchy melody, fun choreography, and a contagious beat, it was impossible not to dance along in your seat. 

Makenzie Brown (12) then performed “Winter Wonderland.” Brown’s charming voice made for an exciting performance. Her choreography made the performance spectacular; audience members even began cheering on her dance moves! 

“Children, Go Where I Send Them”

“This Christmas” and “Mary Did You Know” were next. The transition between fun songs and more serious songs was absolutely impeccable. The group was able to portray two entirely different vibes back-to-back. 

The closing song, “Children, Go Where I Send Them,” was a fan favorite. The song combined gospel and rap to create a beautiful blend of sounds!