Breaking News
  • April 29Graduation Behavior Forms and Outside Scholarships are due to Counseling on May 1! Graduation Tickets are available for Pick-Up on May 1!
  • April 29Freshman, Sophomore, and Juniors Finals Week is May 20-23!
  • April 29Graduation Practice is May 23 at 9am! Graduation Ceremony is May 23 at 6:30pm! (Seniors arrive at 5:15pm)
  • April 29Senior Honors Night is May 22 at the ZHS Gym at 6:30pm!
  • April 29Seniors Final Week: May 6-9! Last Day of School is May 9!
  • April 29Senior Celebration Day is May 2 at 7:30 and 9:30am! Tickets are available in Counseling on April 29!
The Student News Site of Zachary High School

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The March Round-Up
The March Round-Up
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 31, 2024
Recognizing Women in Sports
Recognizing Women in Sports
Ciannie Wellington, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
What It Means to Be A Green
What It Means to Be A Green
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 27, 2024

The March Round-Up

From the Field to the Dancefloor! 

On Friday, March 1, all divisions of JROTC, from Colorguard to Raider, were invited to the annual Military Ball to honor achievements, the seniors, and the ball court. Held at The Rock church, the ceremony began with a welcome and invocation by Master of Ceremonies and Cadet Major Jeffrey Lee (12). Following was the posting of colors by the Honor Guard Members of the Raider team as they ceremonially marched to the center of the auditorium to post the American and Louisiana flags. 

During the opening ceremony, the JROTC recited the Cadet Creed and Army Song together in the center of the room before proceeding with the main events of the evening. Then, seniors were honored on a runway created by the Honor Guard Members to salute them. Austin Wiltz (12), Nasia Selders (12), Bryson Barton (12), Taylor Brown (12), Tyelan Banks (12), Noah Faust (12), Brian Powers (12), and Tyler Brown (12) were recognized on this special night, and three early-graduating juniors: Kaylyn Robinson (11), Taylah Brooks (11), and Caden Bradley (11). 

After a comical yet wholesome video of the Bronco Battalion was displayed by Cadet Captain Kaymin Hardnett (11), dinner was served.  

The latter half of the evening was the Military Ball Court presentation, where Kaymin Hardnett (11) and Precious Ealy (11) were crowned ball Duke and Duchess, Nasia Selders (12) and Bryson Barton (12) were crowned king and queen. 

“I felt so grateful for being voted queen of the ball and proud that I had such an effect on the cadets. I’m [also] proud [that] I could be a moving factor in their lives and high school career,” Selders (12) said.

It was a pleasurable night for everyone as the ceremony concluded with a benediction and dancing courtesy of Noah Faust (12), also known as DJ Noah! 

To first-time JROTC member and Raider team Cadet Dylan Pierson (9), the Ball was a sneak peek into something he’d look forward to each year.  

“I feel like [the Military Ball] was a really good experience and organized well. It felt really good to see the seniors and ball court recognized; hopefully that’ll be me one day,” Pierson (9) said.

“Your Honor”

On Friday, March 8, ZHS’ red (Varsity) and blue (JV) Mock Trial teams competed in the District Regional Mock Trial Competition at the 19th Judicial Courthouse in downtown Baton Rouge. Presented with a foe case, B. Wood v State of Louisiana, where B. Wood was accused of armed robbery; each team had to defend and prosecute the defendant in multiple rounds of competition. 

As witnesses in round one, the red team was the prosecuting team and had to prove that B. Wood committed the crime. They successfully did so and advanced to round two, switching to defense as attorneys. Unfortunately, they missed the mark and couldn’t successfully prove B. Wood’s innocence on defense in round two. 

Red team attorney Korria Gordon (12) recalls her insightful experience. 

“[The competition] was really fun! I was nervous for the first round but in the second round I got used to it. [Overall], it was a really good experience, and I learned a lot,” Gordon (12) said.

Fortunately, the blue team advanced to round three. Beginning the trial on defense in round one, they had to prove B. Wood’s innocence. They excelled in this because, based on the affidavits (statements of the witnesses), they believed the defendant did not commit the crime. However, it became harder when they switched to prosecution in round two. They succeeded in this round, going to round three, but didn’t progress further in the competition. 

For Phoebe Fannin (10), blue team attorney, the Mock Trial Competition was everything to her!  

“[The competition] was really cool and it was the highlight of my year. I was nervous and couldn’t sleep the night before. I’m kind of sad though [now that it’s over], because I was looking forward to this the most,” Fannin (10) said.

Congratulations, Bronco attorneys, for a job well done at the district competition! 

The Band of Blue’s Wind Symphony achieves a superior rating during the District Festival.

A Superior Ensemble! 

From Monday, March 18 through 22, the Band of Blue hosted the District Band Festival. Surrounding schools such as Central and Walker were invited to perform and receive critiques regarding their performance. The Wind Symphony performed “Clutch,” “Shenandoah,” and “Night on Fire,” achieving a superior rating, along with Concert Band. Together, the Band of Blue won the sweepstakes award, achieving the highest rating of one across all areas of the band. 

Rigorously practicing every Tuesday after school, flutist Kara Griffith (10) recalls her preparation for her Wind Symphony performance. 

“I prepared by attending all the required rehearsals and memorized the songs and used [my] muscle memory to perfect the songs. It was so much fun,” Griffith (10) said.

Standing on Business! 

Future Business Leaders of America, FBLA, traveled to the State FBLA Convention from March 18-21, following the cancellation of the previously scheduled event back in January due to weather. Staying at the Marriot hotel in Lafayette with fellow aspiring businessmen and women, everyone had a fun-filled time while achieving top placements in competition categories. 

Aspiring to be in the medical field, Karese Hue (12) earned second place in Healthcare Administration. 

“When I won, [I] was shocked. I didn’t expect it at all, I was full of joy.  I want to go into the medical field, so winning the award was a big achievement and a step closer to my goal of going into the medical field,” Hue (12) said.

Dominic Young (11) competed in business and communications, earning a sixth-place finish, one of the most challenging categories.  

“I’m proud of my placement; I prepared by doing online practice tests and tools,” Young (11) said.

Although the conferences were an all-day affair, Sponsor Tiffany Heck ensured FBLA had nightly outings, including dining at fan favorites like Texas Roadhouse and bowling competitions at Drew Brees’ Surge Entertainment. 

Relentlessly preparing for their competitions and fundraisers, FBLA had a successful trip with fond memories. Congratulations, Bronco business leaders!