Breaking News
  • March 11NHS tutoring after school on 03/19 in Mrs. Ackmens room
  • March 11ZHS 2nd Annual Lip Sync Battle! Registration forms can be picked up in the choir room - all forms due 03/28.
  • March 7Anyone interested in sports medicine can pick up an application in main or foundation hall offices! You have until spring break to complete all sections.
  • November 8Zachary High's 2023-2024 Golden Gala prom! Prom fees are $40, pay on school cash online!
The Student News Site of Zachary High School

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The March Round-Up
The March Round-Up
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 31, 2024
Recognizing Women in Sports
Recognizing Women in Sports
Ciannie Wellington, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
What It Means to Be A Green
What It Means to Be A Green
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 27, 2024

What It Means to Be A Green

Star-athlete and model student, Trey ‘Dez Green (12) paves his way for himself, his hometown, and his family. Learn all about the person off the court and field in this insightful piece!

Hailing from East Feliciana High School, Trey ‘Dez Green (12) moved to Zachary, his senior year, to pursue numerous opportunities, namely basketball and football. His pride and gratitude for East Feliciana is his driving force for pursuing greatness—especially when it comes to football and basketball. In a way, East Fel shaped him into the young man he is today. Without his roots, Green’s life would not be what it is today.

Green denotes his adjustment to life in Zachary and how it differs from East Fel. 

“It’s hard and more challenging [with] more responsibilities. Coming here, [I learned] that [I] have to be responsible and know how to have integrity,” Green (12) said.

Trey’Dez Green (12) gears up for basketball season.

Green also mentions the larger faculty-to-student ratio as a part of his adjustment.  

Once more, Green switched schools during his final year of high school, a feat that can be troublesome for few, but Green took it like a champ. 

“It was hard at first, but once I got into everything, I got with the program,” Green (12) said.

Coming to Zachary was a great opportunity for Green that he knew he had to pursue. But East Fel was never far from his mind, including their possible criticisms.  

Oh yeah of course, I was worried about what people would say in my hometown. Like, were they going to think I betrayed them? Or were they going to be happy for me making the best decision for me?

— Trey'Dez Green

Trey’Dez Green (12) resembles the “Jumpman” Jordans logo during a Friday night game. Photo by: PrepGraphix

The choice to leave East Fel was driven by the opportunity for a better environment and better academics, which Zachary provided. Yet, it was a moral dilemma for Green since he has such pride and love for his hometown. 

As many know, Green is a stellar athlete on the field and court. But one passion particularly piqued his interest.  

“I started playing football in 10th grade and always played basketball since I was three, but I wasn’t getting noticed. So, I played football, and was offered at my first game from the University of Houston but LSU basketball started recruiting before football, so I came here, and I sprouted up,” Green (12) said.

Declining the offer from UH, the opportunity to play basketball appeared for Green, as the court was his first love. Approached by LSU, Green received the offer of a lifetime. 

I didn’t choose to do football or basketball I was asked to do both so that’s what I’m going to do in my first year [of college] and whichever one I succeed in [the most], that’s the one I’ll choose.

— Trey'Dez Green

In this commitment collage, Trey’Dez Green (12) commits to Louisiana State University to play football and basketball. Photo by: Hayes Fawcett

Since playing his first Friday night game in the Corral, Green has had all eyes on him; kind of becoming an overnight celebrity in a way. 

“[The popularity] is good but at the same time I keep focus on my main goal which is to take care of my family and mom and give back to my hometown and community, so I feel like I try not to get into all the popularity,” Green (12) said.

With that, many students around campus are afraid and intimidated by Green. 

A lot of people are scared to come up to me because they think I’m cocky, but if you get a chance to talk to me, [you’ll see that] I’m a cool dude.

— Trey'Dez Green

We wish the best of luck for Trey’Dez Green (12) as he embarks on the opportunity of a lifetime, pursuing his two passions, basketball and football ,at Louisiana State University this fall!