Breaking News
  • April 29Graduation Behavior Forms and Outside Scholarships are due to Counseling on May 1! Graduation Tickets are available for Pick-Up on May 1!
  • April 29Freshman, Sophomore, and Juniors Finals Week is May 20-23!
  • April 29Graduation Practice is May 23 at 9am! Graduation Ceremony is May 23 at 6:30pm! (Seniors arrive at 5:15pm)
  • April 29Senior Honors Night is May 22 at the ZHS Gym at 6:30pm!
  • April 29Seniors Final Week: May 6-9! Last Day of School is May 9!
  • April 29Senior Celebration Day is May 2 at 7:30 and 9:30am! Tickets are available in Counseling on April 29!
The Student News Site of Zachary High School

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Costs for Ones Passion: Fall Edition
The Costs for One's Passion: Fall Edition
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • May 1, 2024
The April Round-Up
The April Round-Up
Maddy Snyder, Co-Editor-in-Chief • April 30, 2024
Back to Our Roots!
Back to Our Roots!
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • April 23, 2024

Making a Splash at State

The Zachary swim team competed at state championships on Friday and Saturday, November 17 and 18, with the girls finishing 18th, and the boys finishing 14th in Division 1.

It takes hard work and dedication to qualify for the state championships as a team. Not only did one swimmer reach the state-qualifying time, but seven swimmers achieved this incredible feat. Their determination and perseverance paid off, and they were given the chance to compete at the state level.

State qualifiers included Reece Achord (12) in the 500 freestyle and 100 breaststroke; Evelyn Deroche (11) in 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle, and 100 butterfly (she opted not to swim the 100 freestyle because each swimmer may swim a maximum of four events, and she was needed in two relays); Matthew Hughes (11) in the 100 backstroke; Joseph Johnson (11) in the 50 freestyle; Jamarcus Samuel (11) in the 50 freestyle; Maddy Snyder (11) in the 100 freestyle; and Chloe Wedblad (10) in 100 backstroke.

After the first day of competitions, the top 16 swimmers in every heat move on to finals. “A finals” consists of the top eight swimmers, while “B finals” consists of the lower half. Achord moved on to A finals in both his events – the 500 freestyle and the 100 breaststroke. Deroche moved on to B finals for both the 50 freestyle and 100 butterfly. Johnson moved on to B finals for the 50 freestyle.

On the second day, Achord placed sixth in the 500 freestyle and third in the 100 breaststroke. Deroche placed sixteenth in the 50 freestyle and fourteenth in the 100 butterfly. And Johnson placed fifteenth in the 50 freestyle.

All six relay teams also competed at the championship. The girl’s 200 medley relay consisted of Wedblad leading off with a 50 backstroke, Evelyn Godbold (11) following with a 50 breaststroke, Deroche swimming third with a 50 butterfly, and Snyder anchoring with a 50 free. The team returned to B finals and placed fifteenth on day two.

The boy’s 200 medley relay was constructed of Hughes starting with backstroke, Achord following him with breaststroke, Samuels swimming next with butterfly, and Johnson finishing with freestyle. They made it back for A finals! On Saturday, they placed seventh and broke their own school record for the fastest-ever medley time!

The girl’s 200 freestyle relay consisted of Snyder leading off, Camille Harms (10) following her, Isabel Rupnow (9) next, and Myra Jenkins (10) anchoring. The girls finished eighteenth.

The boy’s 200 freestyle relay was made up of  Samuels swimming first, Jake Curry (10) after him, David Gaines (12) following, and Kelvin Ridgley (11) finishing. Because of the disqualification of another team, the boys placed sixteenth. They would have competed on Saturday if not for an unfair withdrawal of the disqualification after the disqualified team bargained with the officials.

The girl’s 400 freestyle relay was constructed of Snyder starting, Wedblad second, Harms after her, and Deroche anchoring. The team returned to B finals and finished in twelfth place on Saturday.

Finally, the boy’s 400 freestyle relay consisted of Hughes leading off, Samuels following, Johnson third, and Achord finishing. They made it to B finals and placed eleventh on the second day.