Breaking News
  • March 11NHS tutoring after school on 03/19 in Mrs. Ackmens room
  • March 11ZHS 2nd Annual Lip Sync Battle! Registration forms can be picked up in the choir room - all forms due 03/28.
  • March 7Anyone interested in sports medicine can pick up an application in main or foundation hall offices! You have until spring break to complete all sections.
  • November 8Zachary High's 2023-2024 Golden Gala prom! Prom fees are $40, pay on school cash online!
The Student News Site of Zachary High School

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The March Round-Up
The March Round-Up
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 31, 2024
Recognizing Women in Sports
Recognizing Women in Sports
Ciannie Wellington, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
What It Means to Be A Green
What It Means to Be A Green
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 27, 2024

Indoor Track Season Recap

The 2024 indoor track season was a smashing success for the ZHS Track and Field team. Old school records were broken, and new ones set.

The ZHS indoor track team experienced several successes throughout the season! Here were some of the team’s most memorable achievements!

Early on in the season, at the LSU Indoor Qualifier on January 20, Korria Gordon (12), Rylee Deignan (12), Cecilia Duggan (9), and Alyssa Major (12) competed in the 4×800 relay and finished in third place. Their time of 10:35.34 even broke the previous school’s record!

A week later, Sabriah Bethley (10) was named the “Top Bronco” at the McNeese State University meet on January 27 for her impressive third-place finish in the 55m dash, clocking in at 7.66.

At the indoor State Championship, on February 17, the boys’ 4×400 team, consisting of Vederek Matthews (12), Noah Mckneely (12), Tyler Jackson (10), and Roy Vance (12), placed third with a finishing time of 3:30.53.

The same day, Vederek Matthews (12) also ran the 60m hurdles in 7.95 seconds, ranking 12th in the nation and winning the MVP award.
To see our previous article on Vederek, click here: (https://thehoofprint.org/3869/news/vederek-matthews-zachary-highs-nationally-ranked-athlete/)

On February 20, Sariah Bethley (12) was nominated for the week’s top performer!

Additionally, Kevin St. Cyr (9), Rylee Deignan (12), and Logan McCarthy (12) reached new heights in their perspective events.

Kevin St. Cyr (9) is one of the few freshmen who made it to the state championships for sprinting, arguably one of the hardest events for freshmen to compete in for indoor track. He participated in the participated in the boys’ 4×200 relay team, showcasing his resilience and impeccable sprinting skills.

St. Cyr expressed his sincere feelings about his incredible accomplishment.

“Making it to the [state championships]… is something that not many freshmen make it to. It made me feel as though there was a lot of potential that I [hadn’t seen] in myself [before],” St. Cyr (9) said.

St. Cyr accredits much of his success to his coaching staff, who helped him get where he is now.   

I believe the coaching staff may have seen [my potential] coming just straight out of middle school. There’s a lot of mental battles that [I had to] obviously face running with upperclassmen. But I do believe that I executed everything that I was taught [as much as] I could.

— Kevin St. Cyr

Rylee Deignan(12) has been running for Zachary Track and Field since her freshman year. Deignan recently committed to the University of South Alabama to pursue cross-country and track. Setting a new record, Deignan was part of the 4×800 team.

“My biggest accomplishment this season was getting on the podium twice and setting another school record. I was really exited for us and happy that I was a part of the team to do it!” Deignan (12) said.

At practice, the team encourages each other to push themselves to better the team as a whole. They “race for each other,” as Deignan explained.

Additionally, Deignan is excited to see what she can do in the outdoor season!

I have a very determined mindset going into outdoor season. I have a lot of goals in mind and two more school records I am hoping to break this outdoor season.

— Rylee Deignan

Logan McCarthy (12) is the school’s only pole vaulter, who competed during the indoor season. McCarthy’s most significant achievement was clearing 13 feet at practice, a huge landmark in the pole vaulting world!

“[I feel] like my hard work has been paying off,” McCarthy (12) said.

Aside from school, McCarthy is a part of new heights’ pole vaulting club where he is continuously inspired to get better.

We all want each other to succeed even if it comes at our own expense which has helped me become the best version of me.

— Logan McCarthy