Breaking News
  • March 11NHS tutoring after school on 03/19 in Mrs. Ackmens room
  • March 11ZHS 2nd Annual Lip Sync Battle! Registration forms can be picked up in the choir room - all forms due 03/28.
  • March 7Anyone interested in sports medicine can pick up an application in main or foundation hall offices! You have until spring break to complete all sections.
  • November 8Zachary High's 2023-2024 Golden Gala prom! Prom fees are $40, pay on school cash online!
The Student News Site of Zachary High School

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The March Round-Up
The March Round-Up
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 31, 2024
Recognizing Women in Sports
Recognizing Women in Sports
Ciannie Wellington, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
What It Means to Be A Green
What It Means to Be A Green
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 27, 2024

Steel Magnolias: A Classic Southern Heartthrob

Staff writer attended the upperclassmen show only. 

The theater department performed a powerful yet charming story of Steel Magnolias on March 14th, their closing night. This story follows six southern women and how they navigate life’s challenges in their own unique way.  

Steel Magnolias takes place in Truvy’s hair salon in Chinquapin, Louisiana. All the ladies who are “anybody” go to Truvy, a feisty, bold, and knowledgeable woman, to get their pampering done. Kassidy Hall (11) plays Truvy, who perfectly captures her essence. 

Every great artist needs some backup! That’s where the shy but eager Ms. (or is it Mrs.?) Annelle comes in. As Truvy’s assistant, Annelle has much to learn, not only about hair but also about life around town! Willia Puckett (11) in the upperclassmen cast and Katelyn Agazzi (10) in the underclassmen cast played Annelle. Both ladies did an exceptional job portraying Annelle’s unique personality.  

Millionaire Clairee frequently visits Truvy’s hair salon. Clairee’s got a knack for anything sweet, but don’t let that fool you; her personality is blunt and humorous, always making those around her laugh or smile. Clairee was played by Magnolia Charlet (12) in the upperclassmen cast and Ruby Gehling (10) in the underclassmen cast. Both delivered outstanding performances; each invoking laughs from the audience when the scene called for it. 

Now enter: Ouiser! (Yes, she needs her own big grand entrance). If you thought Clairee’s personality was big, think even bigger for Ouiser. Ouiser, although not totally crazy, has “been in a bad mood for forty years.” As a wealthy curmudgeon, Ouiser knows how to make her presence known, whether it’s her place to be involved. Ouiser was played by Kadra Bates (12) in the upperclassmen cast, and Khaliyah Claibourne (10) in the underclassmen cast. Each actress truly embodied Ouiser as a character, and the audience howled with laughter every time she was on stage!  

Local social leader M’Lynn, a quiet, intelligent woman, and her daughter, Shelby, the prettiest girl in town, also frequent Truvy’s salon. With her defiant personality, Shelby doesn’t make M’Lynn’s job easy. Shelby, a diabetic, knows exactly what she wants, even if it could cost her life. M’Lynn was played by Kenzie Robinson (12), who did an extraordinary job expressing M’Lynn’s views and emotions. Shelby was played by Fiona Anderson (12) in the upperclassmen cast, and Courtney Tate (11) in the underclassmen cast. Both girls, without a doubt, really expressed who Shelby is through their acting.

Although their personalities are quite unique, these six women stand by one another through thick and thin and would sacrifice anything to help each other out. We see this in the second act when Shelby risks her life with pregnancy. This obstacle truly impacts the women in a way that is too tough to bear alone, but in a moment of despair, this situation calls on each of their strengths and their undying love for one another to move forward together.  

Steel Magnolias is undoubtedly one to remember for years to come, whether it’s the jokes that made us laugh or the tears that we shed from the powerful themes of this play. Every actress did a phenomenal job with their character and the production as a whole. Hats off to you, ladies!