Breaking News
  • April 29Graduation Behavior Forms and Outside Scholarships are due to Counseling on May 1! Graduation Tickets are available for Pick-Up on May 1!
  • April 29Freshman, Sophomore, and Juniors Finals Week is May 20-23!
  • April 29Graduation Practice is May 23 at 9am! Graduation Ceremony is May 23 at 6:30pm! (Seniors arrive at 5:15pm)
  • April 29Senior Honors Night is May 22 at the ZHS Gym at 6:30pm!
  • April 29Seniors Final Week: May 6-9! Last Day of School is May 9!
  • April 29Senior Celebration Day is May 2 at 7:30 and 9:30am! Tickets are available in Counseling on April 29!
The Student News Site of Zachary High School

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Costs for Ones Passion: Fall Edition
The Costs for One's Passion: Fall Edition
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • May 1, 2024
The April Round-Up
The April Round-Up
Maddy Snyder, Co-Editor-in-Chief • April 30, 2024
Back to Our Roots!
Back to Our Roots!
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • April 23, 2024

The Costs for One’s Passion: Spring Edition

Sports are common pursuits students take part in throughout school. However, everything comes at a price. Four students, who play spring sports, set the record straight as they share real financial truths about life as a student-athlete.

Least Expensive

Genevieve Moon (9) and Emerald Hall (9) participate in a tennis match.

Genevieve Moon (9) is a first-year member of the Tennis team. After playing for two years on and off, she thought it would be fun to play again, and to her surprise, it was. The team practices Monday through Thursday, although playing causes body aches and tense muscles.  

“The tennis season was very fun, but [my] shoulders do hurt a lot more than usual, [therefore] I wish that I didn’t hit the ball as hard as I do. But I’m proud of my progress so far,” Moon (9) said.  

Collectively, tennis is relatively affordable and cheaper than other sports the school offers. 

[Everything] is about $200 for fees, $150 or so for traveling, and $100 for a good racket, and a few balls.

— Genevieve Moon

For Moon, the hardest thing is finding a good, sturdy racket that’ll last all season. 

“[It’s] hard because and it can affect your performance in certain ways,” Moon (9) said.

Gearing up for baseball season, Braden Sanders (11) poses during a photoshoot.

Affordable

Second year Braden Sanders (10) is a member of the ZHS Baseball team. Pursuing his passion for over half of his life, since he was five years old, Sanders aspires to make it to the Major Baseball League.  

“The season was really good, but I want to be starting DH (Designated Hitter) for all the games, because I’ve only gotten it once,” Sanders (10) said.

As one can imagine, playing this ball sport doesn’t come easy. The league practices four hours  a day, but Sanders chooses to stay an hour extra after, to build his skill. Beyond school, he plays for a travel league that plays three games in different cities and states every weekend  into the summer. 

[Playing baseball is] a burden sometimes, but we [ease the costs] by [participating in] the baseball auction, selling cards, fundraisers, and more.

— Braden Sanders

However, Sanders doesn’t struggle with purchasing necessary baseball expenses.  

“We don’t pay that much for our uniforms. Any other costs are free since we’re on the team. [Baseball costs] are nowhere close to travel teams which costs thousands of dollars; which doesn’t affect any of the players on the team,” Sanders (10) said.

From left to right: Madelyn Chatelain (10), Coach Nagle, and Ainslie McNabb (12) are ready for their golf meet!

Moderately Expensive 

Graduating senior, Ainslie McNabb (12) is a second-year member of the Golf team. Wanting to pursue a sport with minimal competition, McNabb believed making the golf team was easily attainable.  

“I thought I might as well try out and I was one of two people who tried out and made the team,” McNabb (12) said.

With weekly practices every day until 3pm, McNabb’s technique and plays have improved. Each practice and game require the appropriate outerwear and equipment, with each item worth astonishing prices. 

This is where it gets hectic. Clubs and a set of irons are over $1000 and including a driver is $500; certain clubs are $400 each, and golf balls are $50 for 12 pack. Then, [there’s] tees, range finder, gloves, a bunch of different things [I must buy additionally].

— Ainslie McNabb

When it comes to uniforms, McNabb must wear the right polos, skirt, shorts, hats, golf shoes, which are $100, and a playing cart, an added $40. Luckily, golf supplies don’t wear and tear easily, allowing McNabb to save a few bucks. 

“I don’t want to spend $1000 on clubs but I’ll have to [again soon] since they’re getting old, and I had them for a while. As far as competitions, I just pay for green fees,” McNabb (12) said.

It can be annoying and tiresome to constantly pay for her necessities, but for McNabb it’s worth it; after all, golf is her passion.  

Addysen Thornton (11) celebrates a win after the softball game!

Most Expensive 

Addysen Thornton (11) is a catcher for the Lady Broncos Softball team. Since she was seven years old, softball has always been the thing she has felt closest to; primarily because she was exposed to it at such a young age. Whether watching softball games behind the fence or from the comfort of her living room, Thornton has always admired the women before her and is determined to be the idol for the young girls after her.  

However, the road isn’t easy.  

“With only 14 girls on team, [I] had to learn how to play multiple positions which was challenging. It was very tough and [I had] quite the experience,” Thornton (11) said.

Adding to the troublesome experience, Thornton suffered a thumb injury the previous year. She didn’t let that stop her from coming back full swing and ready to catch her junior year.  

But she doesn’t just play for high school, but for her travel team as well. For those who aren’t familiar with travel teams, it can cost thousands of dollars just for one season. 

“High school softball is about $3,000-$5,000, including uniforms and equipment which are $2,000, and travel is about $8,000-$10,000 for travel, food, hotel,” Thorton (11) said.

Since softball has many different positions, it requires specific gear for each roll. For Thorton, this is an accurate representation of her annual budget for two teams each season, as a catcher. 

I would say these costs are a burden especially [since I] have to rebuy equipment for each season. Equipment is on the expensive side and an average bat is $400-$500, so if [I was to] break it during the season, [I’d] have to buy a new one.

— Addysen Thornton

Fortunately, Thornton hasn’t had to worry about purchasing equipment, but she has had to wait to purchase new equipment when something breaks.  

“Financially, it doesn’t affect me as much as some people because I’m lucky enough to have been provided with new equipment as quickly as possible,” Thornton (11) said.