Breaking News
  • January 26Black History Month Program - 2/29/24 @ 6:30pm - Sign up sheets available in main and foundation offices!
  • November 82023-2024 prom committee would like to announce that the prom theme is GOLDAN GALA! Prom will be held at the Raising Canes Center on April 13th
The Student News Site of Zachary High School

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

Celebrating Black-Owned Businesses
Celebrating Black-Owned Businesses
Ciannie Wellington, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024
Lillian Funk (11), head of booth, miking Grace Noel (9), who plays Matilda.
Matilda: Unseen Practice Before Perfection
Maddy Snyder, Co-Editor-in-Chief • February 9, 2024
Boys Basketball Flies High!
Boys' Basketball Flies High!
Kara Griffith, Staff Writer • January 31, 2024

Honoring Our Heritage: Native American Heritage Month Recap

Native American Heritage Month is a momentous time to honor the traditions and culture of Native Americans. Meet two Native American students at our very own Zachary High: Faren (9) and Raven Hill (9)

Freshmen, Faren and Raven Hill are twin siblings from the Tunica Biloxi tribe, and they take pride in their Native heritage. They grew up in Marksville, Louisiana, on the Tunica Biloxi reservation and moved to Zachary two years ago because of their mother’s job. The Tunica Biloxi tribe is a federally recognized tribe that offers learning programs and summer camps to help people learn about their culture.

One of the biggest challenges the siblings have had to face is unfair stereotypes. 

“A lot of people have asked me if I live in a teepee. Yeah, that’s crazy, ” Raven said.   “A reservation is actually many houses spaced out on a big piece of land with wildlife everywhere.”

According to the twins,  being in a tribe is similar to being in one big family. It’s good to know you always have people where you are from.

“Being a Native American means that I have a tribe to go back to and follow. We have a special connection,” Faren said.

The Tunica Biloxi tribe celebrates their traditions with a powwow called the corn husking festival, where they husk corn and make dolls.

It’s important to learn a lesson from this article – never assume things about people who look different from you. If you have a genuine question, it’s always better to ask.