Ready For College

Maddy Snyder, Staff Editor/Writer

These six seniors are beyond thrilled to attend college and pursue their long-awaited careers! 

John Browning

John Browning 

John Browning (12) is going to LA Tech where he will continue to pursue his theatre dreams!  

“I started theatre when I was like twelve years old and I just kind of fell in love with it,” John says.  

That love has fueled an extensive high-school acting career. With roles this year in Radium Girls, The Wizard of Oz, and Shakespeare in Love, John has enjoyed his time in ZHS’s theatre department and the experience it has given him. 

He plans to continue acting at LA Tech, majoring in Communications with a specification in Theatre. After earning his bachelor’s degree, John plans to get a master’s degree and then move to New York City to make a career out of his passion. “I could picture myself [acting] forever and I want to give it a shot,” John says.  

He can’t wait for the next chapter of his life to begin. “I’m just excited to be out there on my own! I’m going to miss the people from high school and, kind of, the routine. It’s going to change, but… I’m more excited than nervous,” John says. 

Calla Duggan

Calla Duggan 

Calla Duggan (12) plans to attend Howard University, an elite, Historically Black College and University (HBCU) in Washington, D.C., where she will major in Business and minor in Spanish, allowing her to pursue a career as a real estate developer. 

From age ten, Calla has known she wants to be a real estate developer. Inspired by her cousin, who owns a real estate developing company (where Calla has interned for the last four years), Calla says, “The company… is subsidized housing, so it helps people in lower income, and it helps house them in better places. So, I just feel like that’s just something I want to do and something I feel called to do.” 

Though she is sad to leave her three beloved siblings and the familiar faces at ZHS behind, Calla says, “I’m very excited to just be there and be in the culture. And I love D.C., so I’m excited to be in a big city as well.” 

Hailey Gleason

Hailey Gleason 

Hailey Gleason (12) is attending Baylor University Honors College in Waco, Texas, where she will major in Biochemistry for Pre-Med. Hailey wants to pursue a career as a physician, possibly in psychiatry or pediatrics. 

While Hailey is excited to go to college, she will miss ZHS. “I’m probably going to miss my friends and playing on the softball and girls’ soccer team,” Hailey says, “One of my favorite memories was winning the regional Mock Trial Competition with my team and being named Best Attorney…” 

Hailey can’t wait for the next school year to arrive: “I’m excited to go to college because I love science and I want to learn more… [I] visited [Baylor last year] and knew that it would be a great place for me.” 

Charlotte Leese

Charlotte Leese 

As a life-long Tiger’s fan, Charlotte Leese (12) always knew she would attend LSU. “I’ve always liked the school. It’s close to home… I’ve always kind of known,” Charlotte says. 

She will major in architecture and pursue a career designing commercial (and possibly residential) spaces: “I just think it’s really interesting and I’m interested in designing buildings, and I’m also interested in interior design.” 

Though it will be a lot to get used to, Charlotte is looking forward to experiencing independence for the first time: “I could live at home next year, but I’m going to be living in a dorm. I’ve never lived away from here before. It’ll be different, but… I’m excited.” 

Alexandra Richards

Alexandra Richards 

Alexandra Richards (12) is ecstatic to attend Xavier University of Louisiana, a historically Black college in New Orleans. “I [am] excited to be going to such a prestigious university to continue my education…”, Alexandra says. 

She plans to major in Biology Pre-Med and later become a cardiovascular surgeon. “I like science and helping people,” Alexandra says, “I worked at a medical internship this summer, which helped me solidify my passion for healthcare.” 

Alexandra is optimistic about going to college: “I feel like I am prepared, I am excited, and I really want to meet new people.” 

Jackson Sanchez

Jackson Sanchez 

Jackson Sanchez (12) will attend University of Louisiana at Lafayette, where he will major in Computer Science. Though he is unsure what kind of career he wants to pursue, Jackson plans to see where life takes him and figure it out during his time at UL Lafayette. 

Enthusiastic to see what the future holds, Jackson says, “I feel excited to go off to college as I’m ready to indulge in the new world that awaits me.” 

Despite his eagerness to go to college, Jackson is sad to leave ZHS, especially his swim team. “The thing I’ll miss most about ZHS is my 2022-2023 season swim team and the memories and accomplishments we made that season,” Jackson says.