Breaking News
  • March 11NHS tutoring after school on 03/19 in Mrs. Ackmens room
  • March 11ZHS 2nd Annual Lip Sync Battle! Registration forms can be picked up in the choir room - all forms due 03/28.
  • March 7Anyone interested in sports medicine can pick up an application in main or foundation hall offices! You have until spring break to complete all sections.
  • November 8Zachary High's 2023-2024 Golden Gala prom! Prom fees are $40, pay on school cash online!
The Student News Site of Zachary High School

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The Hoofprint Online

The March Round-Up
The March Round-Up
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 31, 2024
Recognizing Women in Sports
Recognizing Women in Sports
Ciannie Wellington, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
What It Means to Be A Green
What It Means to Be A Green
Alyvia Pierson, Co-Editor-in-Chief • March 27, 2024

Vederek Matthews: Zachary High’s Nationally-Ranked Athlete

Vederek Matthews competed with the ZHS Track team at the Indoor LSU High School Qualifier Meet, where he ranked 12th in the nation and was named MVP!
Mile Split LA

On Saturday, January 13, the Broncos participated in the LSU High School Qualifier, and Vederek Matthews (12) won MVP! Matthews ran the 60m hurdles in 7.95 seconds, ranking 12th in the nation. Matthews was immensely proud to receive the title at the meet.  

“It’s one of the biggest accomplishments that I have… this being my senior year, it just meant a lot to me,” Matthews (12) said. 

When Matthews started running as just a sophomore, he wasn’t as successful as he is now. Sometimes Matthews couldn’t even finish a race! But he didn’t let this discourage him. He worked hard in practice and at home to get to where he is now. 

“… last year or any year before [now], I never got to this place, like I couldn’t even finish a race then,” Matthews (12) said, “… so, especially last year, I was motivated to run, knowing this my last year [and] it won’t ever happen again.” 

Matthews knows that nothing comes easy. He works incredibly hard to prepare for his meets at practice and home! 

“It all goes down at practice first, say the week before that Saturday, and at home, I either do just stretching [on] my own or different hurdle drills to help me just get in my mindset,” Matthews (12) said. 

After these vast accomplishments, Matthews feels like this year will be wonderful for him. Matthews is also deciding if he will do track in the future. 

Along with having a passion for track, Matthews enjoys football during the fall. Going into college, Matthews had to decide which to pursue, and this season has made him confident that he wants to commit more to track. 

“I do like track more, but it all depends on the season. But I feel like this season is going to be a good season, so I do plan on doing this,” Matthews (12) said. 

Matthews is looking forward to the rest of this season! The MVP award inspires him to continue pushing himself toward success the Bronco way!